Preparation time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 60 mins
One of the most delicious foods that we tried while in Iceland was Kjotsupa – a simple lamb soup made from braising cuts of lamb and winter root vegetables. It’s the perfect comfort food for cold winter nights.
+ 2 tablespoons olive oil
+ 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
+ 1 medium chopped onion
+ 1/2 tsp dried thyme
+ 1/2 tsp dried oregano
+ 1/2 chopped cabbage
+ 4 carrots cut into 2cm slices
+ 1/2 diced rutabaga or parsnips
+ 1 cup cauliflower florets
+ 4 potatoes sliced into 2cm cubes
+ 1/2 cup brown rice
+ 4 1/2 cups water
+ 1 kg lamb (chops or neck or shoulder), bone-in, cut into rough pieces
- Set your large pot on the stove and set to medium heat.
- Once hot, add olive oil and allow to heat. Add garlic and saute for one-to-two minutes.
- Add lamb pieces and sear on all sides until browned.
- Once lamb pices are browned add chopped onion and fry for one minute or until onion is softened on the edges but not all-the-way through.
- Add water and brown rice. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil for five minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium and stir in thyme and oregano.
- Cover and continue cooking for 40 minutes.
- After 40 minutes add cauliflower, cabbage, carrots, parsnip, and potatoes.
- Cover and cook for 10 - 20 minutes .
- Serve hot in a bowl.
Interested to try more recipes? Click here to read more.
Recipe source: @wanderingwagars